Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My Joy

I am becoming fully aware that my past is getting further and further away from the present. This brings me joy.

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” Kahlil Gibran

I love this quote. Some people wear a difficult childhood as a badge of honour. This is definitely a stage in recovery, but it is not what we are destined for. I had a childhood full of secrets. This is why I choose to answer questions as honestly as possible. It is a part of my story, but it is not my entire story. We are inteded to use these expereinces to grow into our true selves, more acurate reflections of character of God, but we are not intended to stalemate in our healing. I long to become one of these strong souls that Gibran refers to. Suffering is a real part of life in all its fullness. So today, in my joy, I pray for those who still hide behind their badge of honour, those children who are living in abusive homes, those souls who feel weak and small, and for those who do not suffer. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment