Thursday, October 1, 2009

Secrets of a Feminist Home Maker Pt.1

Most people who know me know that I am feminist. Indeed I am, but I am that and so much more; I am a friend, a cyclist, a follower of Christ, a writer, a dreamer, a retired queen, a volunteer, a wife, a hippie ... and a domestic goddess.

My house is certainly not perfectly clean, there is a pile of laundry in front of the washer threatening to take over the hall, I can't remember the last time I used an iron, there are always dishes in the sink and I certainly do not vacuum in heels, but I am a domestic goddess in my own right. Feminism is not about trying to be better than men, abandoning the family model, or burning bras - it's about embracing and respecting the differences. In the same way domestic 'godesshood' has little to do with having a perfect home, coiffed hair or a chiffon cake cooling on the counter. Some of my greatest joys in life include; crisp fall mornings, saving the earth, and being the hostess with the mostess. I scrapbook, I sew, I recycle, I bake, I can preserves and make my own laundry soap because I enjoy it, and because it allows me to show the earth some love.

Long winded intro/disclaimer aside hear is the first installment of my "Secrets of a Feminist Home Maker"

Homemade Laundry Soap:

You will need 2 bars of body soap. You want to use white soap, not glycerin, and you'll also want to ensure that it is unscented and free from dyes. 2 1/2 cups of Washing Soda, I prefer Arm and Hammer Brand. 1 1/2 cups of BORAX. Both of these items can be found at most large chain grocery stores. 1 teaspoon of regular baking soda. I also like to add a little something for scent, I have experimented with vanilla, and nutmeg, but I usually just use peppermint oil or lavender oil (from health food store). If you are less concerned about smelling good, you can also use tea tree oil, this will help repel mosquitoes, ticks and head lice. You will also need a 10-20L container to make it in. I use a 18 L garbage can with a lid that clips in place, but really you can use a few ice cream buckets, or just add less water for smaller containers. The start up cost for this is about $30 (including container), but I have been making my own laundry soap for two years and I am still on my first box of washing soda and Borax, so its super affordable.

Step 1: Grate 2 bars of soap. Bring to boil in a large pot with 5-6 cups of water. When the soap is completely melted turn down the heat medium-low. **Do not take your eyes off the pot, it will bubble over.**

Step 2: Add Washing Soda, Borax and Baking Soda and stir until completely dissolved and liquid starts to gel. You will know if it starting to gel if you can see a ring on the edge of the pot. Add the scent now!

Step 3: Pour contents of pot into large container and add corresponding amount of COLD water (8 L works best, but you are making concentrated soap anyway, so it doesn't really matter how much you use, but make sure its at LEAST 3L). Now stir like crazy for about 3 minutes. I use a broom stick in my garbage can to mix it.

Step 4: Cover it and you're Done!! It will turn into the consistency of jello and may have some water that separates. When you want to do laundry mix half soap concentrate and half warm water in a bottle with a lid and shake. An old liquid laundry soap bottle works great for this and you get to reuse something, hooray! You will want to give it a little shake each time before use to ensure any clumps are dissolved. Use about a cup of mixed per load.

This laundry soap (in my humble opinion) works just as good as store bought brands and is suitable for use in HE front loading washers. It works great on cold wash cycles too! It does not get very sudsy, so if you have tough or heavily soiled laundry you can use 2 cups and be rest assured that it won't bubble over. To spite the plethora of steps and long winded directions it usually only takes me 20 minutes to make. Hey, and instead of using dryer sheets, which are full of carcinogens, try using "Nellie's Natural Dryer Balls" which can be purchased online. The link is posted in my "look ma' I'm on the web" section to the far right. They soften fabrics naturally and reduce drying time.

So, how does being a domestic goddess fit in with my plan to change the world? Well I think it is about lifestyle, about having a better relationship with your food, and creating better home life. Barbara Strickland, renowned writer and passionate feminist had this to say,
"What I am proud of, what seems so simply clear, is that feminism is a way to fight for justice, always in short supply."

Making your own laundry soap is not going to solve all the problems of the world but it does show the earth a little love. I am also a firm believer that if you take the time to make something yourself you will be less likely to waste it! It's one small step for social justice and one giant leap into domesticity. Stay tuned, because tomorrow I am going to tell you how to make homemade gingerale!

No comments:

Post a Comment