Thursday, November 19, 2009

Love is in the Air!



I have an intuition that love is inherently learned. It must be. It is not something that need be taught, but experienced. The truth must be that you can not love until you have been loved. God who formed you in your mother's womb, loved you before you even came into existence. Your mother, when you were first born, held you in her arms loved you. Your grandmother, who went to your Christmas concert, she loved you. We are given love and the ability to love from moments like these.

It's one of those days. I can't help but tell the whole world that I am in love. It is easy to neglect your spouse and ignore all the little things that you truly love about them. I am frequently reminded of how in love I am with Phil in very peculiar moments. I had one of those glimmering love moments today. The picture above is our lovely little dog Ollie, I guess you could call this his "baby picture" he is about 5 times the size now, weighing in at a whopping 7 pounds. I am not one of those purse dog people, but because we live in a condo, we could only have a small dog at this point. But Ollie is awesome, he can run more than 40 km per hour (which is a funny story, remind me to tell it sometime), he is a great hiker and an avid camper... and best of all, he can also kick it on the farm! Anyway, all of my little dog disclaimers aside, I love Ollie! Though my husband doesn't admit to loving Ollie very often, he does it in subtle ways. Today I overheard Phil having a heart to heart with Ollie about why he had to stay upstairs while I was working downstairs. It was an awesome moment! It reminded me that, under the gruff exterior Phil is really just a big softy.

In a related rant, I think that love, in general and in specific, holds great power in heaven and on earth. It fights all of those culturally whorish behaviors that dwell inside of us all. It fills the void we try to fill with sex, stuff and drugs. Love propels to us pursue great dreams. It helps us to realize amazing goals (like changing the world). Love gives us confidence to face the day as our authentic selves. Most importantly, love motivates us to give. I can say with an honest heart that I love my sponsored children, Alvaro is from Guatemala and Mamello is from South Africa. All I have of them are pictures on my fridge and few letters that I have sent to them. But I love them!

So love, love so that others may be blessed.

2 comments:

  1. That's beautiful! Your blog is like a breath of fresh air on the dull ol'e facebooky interweb. =) Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Calvin :)

    ReplyDelete