Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Rest of the World

When I say "The Rest of the World" what I really mean is the 20% of the earth's population who live in relative prosperity. The 20% who drive economic, political and social change. The 20% who consume 90% of the world's resources. The 20% who cause more than 90% of the world's pollution and ecological desparity. The 20% who largely close their eyes to the 80% who have not.

And what about this 80%? They are the bottom 6 billion, the rest of the world says that they do not count. The rest of the world make decisions in their daily lives that decrease the access to clean water, nutritious food and education to the bottom 6 billion. What does the rest of the world do with the poorest of the poor? They keep the very bottom 1 billion, the poorest of the poor, in abject poverty.

I am the rest of the world and I am sorry for what I have done.

Forgive me for my ignorance, my willfull blindness and my cruelty. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment